Shillong, the capital of the state of Meghalaya and sometimes referred to as the “Scotland of the East,” lies in the very northeast of India. Its green mountains, rushing rivers, and long history of culture are well-known. A homestay is a better way to travel than a hotel or resort because it gives you a more real and enjoyable experience. Homestay in Shillong is the best way to learn about the culture of the area and see the beautiful natural scenery.
Why Choose a Homestay in Shillong?
- Authentic Local Experience: Homestays are a great way to experience Shillong like a local. You’ll meet the friendly Khasi people, who will welcome you with open arms, teach you about their culture, and feed you delicious home-cooked meals.
- Scenic Locations: Many beautiful homestays in Shillong are tucked into hills or valleys or backed by thick forests. Opening your eyes to the peaceful beauty of a Shillong morning is an experience that money can’t buy.
- Personalized Hospitality: Compared to hotels, homestays are friendlier and have a more personal feel. Many hosts will go out of their way to make you feel at home and help you make plans to see everything the city has to offer.
- Affordability: Homestays in Shillong are a great way to see the city without breaking the bank, as they are often less expensive than 5-star hotels and spas.
Top Homestays in Shillong
This guesthouse in the town of Mawphlang is great for people who want to see how Khasi people live. You can get a real taste of Khasi culture by having traditional foods, visiting nearby root bridges, and going to events.
Pinewood Homestay is on the pine-covered hills of Shillong and has cozy rooms with beautiful views. Guests can take advantage of the hosts’ famously warm welcome and plan trips and cultural events with them.
Ri Kynjai Homestay
The hotel on the shores of Umiam Lake offers a great place to get away from the city and relax. It is built in an old Khasi style and is located in a quiet place.
The beautiful Orange Homestay is in Upper Shillong. It is in the middle of orange fields. Your friends might take you on organized hikes and teach you about the culture of the area.
Sohra Plaza Homestay
This hotel is in a great spot for day trips to Cherrapunjee (Sohra), which has some beautiful waterfalls. The hosts are known for being friendly and knowledgeable about what to do in the area.
What to Expect in a Shillong Homestay
- Warm Hospitality: The people of Shillong are very friendly and kind. Most of the time, guests are treated like family, which makes everyone feel welcome and at ease.
- Delicious Local Cuisine: You should try typical Khasi foods like Jadoh (beef over rice), Tungrymbai (fermented soybean paste), and Jhur Seng (Khasi-style pickle).
- Cultural Experiences: Several homestays put on cultural events like traditional dance shows, music sessions, and displays of handicrafts so that tourists can learn more about Khasi culture.
- Nature Exploration: Your hosts in Shillong can set you up on guided treks, nature walks, and trips to places like Nohkalikai Falls and Mawlynnong, Asia’s cleanest town.
Tips for a Memorable Homestay Experience in Shillong
Book in Advance
Homestays in Shillong may fill up quickly during the busy times of the year. Make sure you reserve your room well in advance.
Respect Local Culture
Always remember to respect the local culture. Inquire with your hosts about what to wear and how to act while in their town.
Be prepared for a range of conditions in Shillong’s climate by bringing clothes and sturdy shoes.
Some homestays may provide Wi-Fi, but in more rural regions, you should expect slower speeds or no access at all. Don’t miss out on the chance to unplug and take in Shillong’s breathtaking scenery.
Homestays in Shillong offer more than just a place to sleep for the night; they also give visitors a unique look into the culture of the area. Staying in a local’s house is a great way to get to know the real Shillong when you go there.